Re: LF: QRSS Tx on SpecLab?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSS Tx on SpecLab?
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 18:39:14 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mike,

Some months ago i was in a similar situation and asked myselfe the same questions. But since i wanted to run the transmitter from a remote link, there was no alternative to learn how it is done in SpecLab. If you intend to run your TX in QRSS, you can combine both programs, i.e. you can use the QRS program to key the PA and let SpecLab generate a permanent tone. SpecLab does not release the PTT (RS232) during the dashes and dots, unfortunately. It releases the PTT after transmitting all characters in the text box of the digimode terminal. So i you like to have a PTT, e.g. for savety reasons, you need to build a VOX or so. But, as an example, if you want to run a CW beacon, the RS232 PTT would be inacurate anyway. So it is better to use the SpecLab PTT combined with a VOX, i.e. a circuit that generates a 2nd PTT from the audio tone. Only if both PTTs are H, then the PA driver stage is enabled. I added a watchdog in this circuit that limits each key down time to 8 minutes, just to prevent a permanent transmission in case the PC hung up. Actually it's not so complex, just a few RC time constants, 2x 4093 and CNY17/4 optocouplers.

You still can use the QRS program if you like but both programs will work, even in DFCW and hell mode. I like the QRS program too because it is easy to define the start time and the number of repetitions.

73, Stefan/DK7FC