Re: LF: 73kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 73kHz
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 19:08:46 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=iiNx3hbqmdPNQkYa/oXK85cd0nw320i0hjv1thu1XZE=; b=QaYjYkE9LORVHwrw7mu25sFTfVcjQc3U0o3A/g7sciL98ZJ7d7A68HyGcR+F14LusK 0CNh+s2uAP29CN6mbvMc+mu/b7cXm3bWfjPAPBMXhamqHC/Us2+5huo0Z/GiACn8VcwS sbqU/1Of3hmVyZK8t0bf/ELcfy+yCPseru8U8=
Sender: [email protected]
The very first amateur use of QRSS (we used the term SLOWCW)    :

http://www.g4jnt.com/DownLoad/G4JNT008.BMP   as received by G3PLX at a
distance of 393km.

My transmission, which was about 1mW ERP, was generated with 160 Watts
of RF from a couple of Maplin Mosfet audio amps in bridge driving a 7m
high Tee antenna.      Peter was receiving in a bandwidth, as far as I
recall, of something like 40mHz and my transmitted dot length was 30
seconds. What would now be referred to as QRSS30.  We tried different
speeds each night but this was one of the best results

Numbers along the bottom are UTC hours.   This was before the days of
soundcard based DSP.   Peter used a Motorola 56002 DSP card to
digitise the signal from an SSB receiver, decimate the sampling rate
and send the results to a PC via the serial port (a while before the
USB interface was in use, too).   Custom software did the FFT and
produced the plots.

It took another year or two before soundcard based DSP was in
widespread use, mainly due to a Richard Horne's, GRAM software.
Richard was a bird watcher, and wrote GRAM for analysing birdsong, but
it was quickly adapted, along with a few mods added by Richard. for
Amateur SlowCW use.

Andy
g4jnt