LF: VLF Butane Powered Soldering Iron?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: VLF Butane Powered Soldering Iron?
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 05:29:37 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Ive had good success and some failures.... I concur about needing more heat than estimates as the wind and low temperatures can be more lossy, secondly, keep the gas container warm if its Cold.

 If your outside at below zero temps the gas will not vaporize/want to escape if it gets real cold. I used to get 3 minutes of use on a 60W equiv device outside at -45C before it stopped working, and of course your bring up metals from a much lower temp :-) This was the Pyropen - nice unit. Pretty unfair test really but great in more temperate climes. I could get it going again by taking my gloves off and using the heat from my hand to warm the gas chamber, but then my hands stopped working...

Laurence