Re: LF: Re: 500kHz WSPR activity 1530-2300z today

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500kHz WSPR activity 1530-2300z today
From: John GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:58:37 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:37:02 +0100
Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Many people rubbish WSPR, but this sort of activity gives an excellent
> "snapshot" of band conditions in a way hard to achieve in any other
> way.

Roger, LF

And to lend weight to that argument - G3XIZ has been consistently
decoding my WSPR this morning at around -25dB. I was decoding him, in
daylight, at 0dB!

We've just tried to work CW and while Chris was a nice Q4-5 signal in a
250Hz CW filter he could neither hear me nor see on Argo any sign that
I was transmitting. Back in WSPR mode and he's again decoding me at
-24dB.

Now, whether a long dot-period QRSS signal would fare better is open to
conjecture, but on this occasion WSPR was demonstrably more capable
than good old hand sent, ear decoded CW.

My grabber is once again online at:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3551430/grabber.html

Cheers,

John