Re: LF: Re: Ofcom Update: GPS Jamming Message

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Ofcom Update: GPS Jamming Message
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 22:35:30 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
On 13 May 2011, at 22:04CEST, Roger Lapthorn wrote:

I've just finished reading "The Railway Man" by Eric Lomax, a must-read book about his imprisonment and torture by the Japanese in WW2 and his later meeting and forgiving his torturer. It had me in floods of tears I was so moved. It was amazing what these guys did to be able to receive an allied signal from the depths of the jungle with next to nothing to hand.

I once worked with Sgt Len Beckett who had been an FEPOW. When he was a prisoner it was his job to crank the generator with which their clandestine radio was powered. He received additional rations to give him the energy to do so.

He never talked about this period of his life. The information about his activities I got from G3HJL who worked in the same lab but was even more circumspect about his wartime activities.

John
F5VLF/G3PAI