Re: LF: WRC-2012 proposal for 'near' 500kHz band(s)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WRC-2012 proposal for 'near' 500kHz band(s)
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 17:38:50 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
On 2 Mar 2011 at 15:52, Roger Lapthorn wrote:

> Why not try for 472-487kHz the amateur radio service in *every*
> region? Is there any logic having two proposals (at least)? Wouldn't
> the chances of success at WRC-2012 been higher if there was a common
> frequency proposal worldwide for an allocation at MF?
> Roger G3XBM

The logic is that if the commercial interests in only one region
objects to the proposed common frequency the whole proposal falls. It
is up to the amateur service in each region to work out what they
feel would have the greatest chance of success. Ideally there should
be a worldwide allocation, but we have lived with split bands before,
and in fact voluntarily split our own bands on a geographical basis.

Mike, G3XDV