Re: LF: OT End of the BBC World Service on Shortwave

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: OT End of the BBC World Service on Shortwave
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:04:36 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 31 Jan 2011, at 06:15CET, Warren Ziegler wrote:

Sad day...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/28/bbc-world-service-cuts-response

Guess I'll have to rely on the 198 longwave transmissions.

Warren,

It gets worse.  I gather the BBC intend to use their domestic news room to provide material for their Internet-based service. This would be a pity, as it has always been the official position that the World Service is not aimed at expatriates, but at the nationals of the target countries, whose mother tongue is frequently not English.

Accordingly, the policy for many years has apparently been to adopt a more measured delivery of the spoken word, with (where appropriate) less complex vocabulary and syntax. This is also supposed to apply to interviews with politicians, celebrities and so on.

Unfortunately  this practice has not always been followed of recent years.  Ordinary domestic vox pop interview material has sometimes been used, and I am not confident that the listeners will always follow what is being said..

If you are receiving on a poor radio circuit, or your mother tongue is not English (or both) it may be even harder to understand the programme.

Good luck with 198. I gather they are considering bringing back Test Match Special (ball-by-ball commentary on important cricket matches).

73
John F5VLF

=