Re: LF: Re: Mini-Whip Antenna

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Mini-Whip Antenna
From: "DENNIS EASTERLING" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:10:25 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1295172627; bh=yUpCnXmGbrHwp0Pi+4cYMy6lzE5ZdswGksKGZATrI7A=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=VQfHEC4XTE1MBaDNYw2nRlJpAFgKg6A3NZuV1UIjmfV/nXmVAnzOXbXMdb0f9q/TqsardouZuHaX/W9BnrHwvfDt/0qpKf7fAGFTnZtEhszlUVqWWQDC6iyim0cRAthlkrUqPUhErww/X0VrL6g524f5RcSskmDlO/V5u8xPop4=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=MPgt22BH/zsFIQfHwDc1gJH4gxFlvf+sCi33HcKsUYOg+DBDzSP0ypV/TxoYzQ+mz2fXxnN7XAQtWJy+EWzvce6OrrEks0eswYfD3yzSrzWl087Rq104uKMZrgeF4HRAMWxIahEyiNZc5C29y8bNmuBYhOUVrzq7tTf5HTfG+MU= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Roelof and Petr

When I first tried the mini-whip I was very sceptical of its performance, but in my circumstances, living surrounded by houses and near a main line electric railway ((25kV) it has performed very well indeed.

I tried tuned loops of various sizes but the qrm is overwhelming in such close quarters to the switched mode power units and machines operating in nearby houses. Out of various loops, the wide band untuned screened loop seemed the best option, with a simple 1m loop of co-ax cable and amplifier tied to the back fence and the Wellbrook ALA1530 giving similar performance at MF, although the Welbrook is better engineered and mounted on a rotator.

My final arrangment is a combination of the mini-whip and screened loop, depending on band and location of the station being received. On the 'Dreamers' vlf band, the mini-whip out performed everything else, bringing the Alphas in at good strength. It was the mini-whip that I used to receive Chris' VLF signals recently on our first cross band qso.

I enclose a picture of the mini-whip, shown top right, mounted on wooden pole about 9m high, while on the back fence can be seen the coax loop looking North to South.

Thank you Roelof for an excelent design and information.

73 Dennis M0JXM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>