RE: LF: IC718 problem

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: IC718 problem
From: "James Cowburn" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:42:39 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
It is my experience that the IC735 and IC706 (esp mk2g) will transmit down
to 137/500.   The IC735s are a little more fragile and get quite warm very
quickly and I smoked the PA board on my first one by caning it on WSPR 500,
running it flat out at 35w on 20% duty  (yes....my own stupid fault!)

The 706mk2g will give me about 30w on 500, and my 2nd 735 is good for about
10w on 500.

I have several other rigs from the Yaesu/Kenwood/JRC stables and none will
go below 1600khz.   I asked kenwood if there was mod for the ts570 and ts690
to allow vlf/lf and they said not poss.  The MARS/CAP mod is good for 1.6
thru 30/60 but that's the lot.  Maybe ICOM instigated a similar DDS
architecture on its later sets such as the 718.   It would be interesting to
know which of the other later ICOM sets between the 735 and 718 are amenable
to vlf/lf.

Best regards

Jim