Re: LF: Re: QRN

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: QRN
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 09:54:27 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Alan,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Maybe i will have some questions to you in some months when i want to come back to 137 with the 300m vertical...

I am not an expert in interpreting the propagation on VLF, it is rather a daily study of my grabber pictures and watching out for unnormalities of the daily QRN changes. It has been shown that there is a sector between about 7...10 UTC where the overall noise is at its minimum. Within, and mostly only within that sector it is possible to get a reals distance on VLF. During the summer that sector changed, in its deepness and broadness. There is a second QRN dip in the evening that is not so deep and that wasn't visible in some days of strong QRN levels. In the last days i observed that the average QRN levels decreased. I will watch out for any changes and try to interprete them ;-)

Maybe it would be good to have a long time carrier on the dreamers band to observe the daily changes of the S/N so that we can confirm what you said is valid for LF!? That could be a relatively poor ERP since one can choose long integration times. That cannot be done with a kite antenna so lets wait for some further well eqiupped TX stns there. They will come! :-)

TNX es 73, Stefan/DK7FC