AW: LF: 8.97kc - TV transformer info needed

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: AW: LF: 8.97kc - TV transformer info needed
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 19:25:03 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Dear VLF,

In germany there is a distributor that offers such a TV transformer, of course
without the HV cascade, so with an AC output. I have ordered such one (not this
one of my picture i sent). There was a stamp, dated 1988, out of the DDR (GDR)
;-) It costs just abt 7 EURO and the secondary is put in epoxy.

So, generally, the TV transformers have been used at higher frequencies in the
TV so there will be no HV problems. There will just be thermal problems if the
output current gets to high for a longer time.

Remember that the ratio between voltage/frequency has it's limit for a given
core, so the high output voltage (anyway if with or without a load) will not be
the problem. Thus, the question is not "How many amperes can the transformer
stand" but "what is the maximum voltage per turn that can be applied". This
depends on the core dimensions and the core material so one has to check this
by applying a new primary winding, say 8 turns and watch the output voltage or
the DC current of the PA. Change the frequency and check where saturation
occurs. If you want a optimal winding for 8,97 kHz, the core gets into
saturation at say 8 kHz. If it occurs at 4 kHz, just half the number of turns...
The output transformer of my 300W PA used in the first experiments gets into
saturation at about 8 kHz. I have to apply 17,94 kHz since there is a frequency
divider in the circuit to achieve an exact 50% duty cycle for the FETs. When
driving the PA at 8,97 kHz, it takes 0,15A DC current at 13,8V. Once i have
done local tests with the VFO on 8,97 kHz and have forgotten to double the f
for the PA, so i drove the transformer with 3,985 kHz (without a load). In this
case, the DC current was > 3A since the core was in saturation!

One way to achieve the maximum output voltage is to adjust the air gap between
the core ferrite core parts, e.g. with a piece of paper. With that you can
adjust the L and resonate the antenna, or come closer to resonance. This also
changes the frequency where saturation occurs (to lower frequencies) so you
have to adjust the primary winding after resonating or just apply a higher
input voltage ;-)

Wish you good luck with the TV transformers.

In the last days here on the reflector was much traffic on the VLF theme. This
is good entertainment. So, no one here still needs his TV any more, right? Just
take the transformer out of it, if it is old enough ;-)

73, Stefan/DK7FC