LF: RE: Probably not a new question...

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Probably not a new question...
From: "James Cowburn" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:05:54 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Daniele

If you can find them, then I can recommend the early models of JRC receivers.  I have two NRD515s and a NRD505 and they are all excellent at MF/LF.   I also have an ex marine comms RX from JRC, the NRD72H and that’s quite good too.

Often on Ebay are the Datong VLF upconverters to 28MHz IF.   These are excellent and I run one too.

Tx wise I have used both an IC735 and an IC706 Mk2g on 500 with good effect (CW QSO’s out to 500km and WSJT/WSPR/data out to 1300km).   Both will generate around 15W of RF at 500khz after the diode snip mods for MARS/CAP/5MHz and 7.2MHZ.   With the IC735 you need to be looking for a later serial number model in the black box, the earlier ones in white boxes with green writing don’t like working down at 500 as much and only give out about 0.5W and their BPF arrays get hot.   You need to be careful as the BPF/PA board is easily “smoked”….I speak from bitter experience.

Also with the 735s there are issues with dry joints in and around the antenna connector on the PA board and these can be aggravated by warm running so you might need to get your soldering iron out and remake all the joints.   There’s quite a bit on the web about this issue…Google is your friend!!!

The 706 mk2G is much more accommodating and mine will churn out 15W on WSPR all day at 20% duty cycle and not get too warm.    You will need a very good 7 pole chebyshev filter immediately after the rig as the output is a little broadband to say the least at 500, but as these rigs were not designed for down here that is hardly surprising and a good bandpass filter is good practice anyway.

As has been stated though, for QRO then the way to go is a transverter or direct transmitter and in the LF today book there are excellent schematics for some serious beasts!

Hope this helps

With best regards

Jim

Dr. James Cowburn G7NKS

E [email protected]

The information transmitted is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you must not read this message.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  Consequently, this email is not intended to be contractually binding.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender, return the message as well as its attachments and delete the whole from any computer.