RE: LF: EARTH

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: EARTH
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 19:42:00 +0200
Accept-language: nl-NL, nl-BE
Acceptlanguage: nl-NL, nl-BE
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

the conductivity of silver is better than that of copper. But the difference is
marginal, the main advantage is that silver will not oxidate as much as copper
(metal oxides are rather poor conductors). That is why silver plating makes
sense, in particular on very high frequencies (where skin depth is small, but
solid silver wire does not (apart from the fact that is will break very easy).
However, the conductivity of gold is worse than that of silver and copper, I
don't think that there is any good reason to use gold plated antennas (maybe
except for vanity).

73, Rik  ON7YD