Re: LF: Why is this group not a Yahoo group with archives and web access

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Why is this group not a Yahoo group with archives and web access?
From: ALAN MELIA <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 12:37:59 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1267965479; bh=uJ00780XxShRn72Pw/5dSvEeyZAnxxbdYi3WZTBFOQk=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=y9FwQSHSfc84MASi4LrfuJ1+7Hd+ZJ7UxFGI54U7fxzvCdVJ2d/3PiUoUBdEOlfpfxSOIMC0sm6EPIrwrMdciN0+W8ahpmx38F7NpHHRaZTFGPW7s/zE7p/n+SwUsE7l564y879kXzRGQtRdWhT1ItR/8TVta8yTNowPTQ+1rCs=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roger, why is it not a Yahoo list?? Well for one reason it was set up when
Yahoo Groups did not exist !! This group have been in operation for around 12
years I should think, set up initially for enabling a very few 73kHz NoV
holders to co-ordinate their testing. It predates and soundcard-spectrograms
and QRSS, but has been a vital factor in the development of those facilities
over the years. It proved far more effective than a amateur-packet BBS at the
time which was deluged with know-all detractors.
There are people who keep archives. I dont think he keeps it up to date now but
I know Peter Dodd G3LDO used to have an archive of technical mails on his site
a few years ago. One problem with some archives is that they immmediately open
the list addesses to harvesting by web crawlers. You will see this if you press
the reply button.....although the reply is sent to the group the sender's
address is there to read. I have a "helpfull" US archiver to thank for getting
in excess of 250 spams a day at the height. It now seem to be dropping off the
lists.

The software is quite old now but stable . It has a few bugs (features?) but we
havent had too much trouble it is set up to disuade people sending enormous
attachments because it was configured in the days of dial-up, but that has
proved an enduring success. It has proved to be a good meeting point for LF and
MF enthusiast world wide. There did at one time seem to be a great reluctance
for people to sign on to Yahoo Groups with all the personal information
information they wanted. (we are too well behaved in this country.....one of
our American friends replied....."just lie!" but it seems to be against our
British principes :-)) )

Several addition Yahoo groups have appeared from time to time but there is a
problem with having too many places to look for volatile, often time critical
information.....so the old Majordomo has stood the test of time. Graham's
500kHz site is the best and most succesful.

Cheers
Alan G3NYK