VLF: RX antennas

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: VLF: RX antennas
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 12:40:11 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Paul,

Before the VLF theme came up, my special interest was the transmission of the
RX signal by an fiber optic cable. This greatly reduced the local noise coupled
into an active E-field antenna in my 137kHz experiments. I even tested that
method with a RX loop antenna (also shown on my site).
Do you think this could be another (just additional) method to even improve a
RX system? I mean, an isolating transformer is a good choice at all but there
remains some stray capacitance between the coils and core you know. This
capacitive coupling is rahter an issue on 137 than on 9 kHz and a loop antenna
is not so sensitive as a small E-field probe (that has just some less pF
coupling to the far field) but i want to give you this suggestion to think
about. Your opinion about this would be interesting.
Note that with such a fiber optic cable you can REALLY decouple the antenna to
all conducting wires in and out of your house by some 10m, if wanted! And the
preamp does not even has to be realised symmetric when using a small battery.
This preamp consists just out of a FET (BF862), a C(abt 1uF) and a TX LED(e.g.
SFH756V) and the battery(9V block battery, maybe 2 accus in change)!
That circuit worked fine on 137 and on 9 it would be even more unproblematic to
realise...

73, Stefan