LF: Re: Induction DX?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Induction DX?
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:57:10 -0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btopenworld.com; s=s1024; t=1268351832; bh=XoCjLci880VzglY+8e70oP2sZRuI2HMitrYmV8ASCTE=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=ar9Jhw+xmXkMuILIZjdRthRNh1Dpip9Z3SLzK6IcmsL2EySCzNORV3i3fmecpfNrUf3EIvb4Dae8+yGX0XU2cw6oM2jH0x+LEmi3in03LEWbG0cdTPa9jnO6+eTF9GrlhYFMS5rElS5AxdOCFiU1MWoc8IdVM3w5tn+iGbYybJM=
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=6LpuuAxCvYz8zv5Jg8QEv4V/zGYwnLXdcB0/jTkO43S/xandKuobpR4AKZbfYf7VjxnMxAG347aJtr7lSJzVxOOCIofL+DIflST08y9VMZjKbLGL6HGdfmsArq3CRJHGHMp4PuqZhAVdqQ7WfLnLA7zEr8M6xFtG8snPw8JvSk8= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Roger, LF Group,

It is interesting to try to work out what might be possible by induction...

First, how much magnetic field is needed for reception? Assuming we can make a receiver where external noise dominates, Paul Nicholson gave a typical figure of magnetic flux density of 30fT/sqrt(Hz) for the noise level. Assuming we use QRSS100 with about 0.01Hz BW, and 6dB SNR, we need to generate about 6 femto-teslas of magnetic flux density at the receiver to get a readable signal.

Now the transmitter - assume a "largish" loop means 10m diameter, and it is a single turn with resistance of 0.1R, or a multi-turn loop with proportionately less current. With 100W, the single-turn loop current would be about 32A when matched. My old physics textbook says that the magnetic field on the axis of a circular loop, at a distance that is large compared to the loop diameter, is

B = (mu0*r^2*n*I )/  2d^3

with mu0 = 4pi*10e-7, r = 5m, n =1, I = 32A, and B = 6*10e-15 T, d = distance in m

Rearranging to find d gives

d = cube-root-of( (mu0*r^2*n*I)/2B ) = 4.4km

So quite a long distance (have I got it right?!), making some quite optimistic assumptions. You could get a bit more by reducing the loop resistance, or increasing the loop size, power etc., but the cube-root means it would be hard to make a big increase in range. To reach DF6NM's 12km, you would need to increase the loop current to about 650A! The presence of the ground would probably have some effect. As has previously been pointed out, conductors such as mains cables or telecomms lines near the transmitter would have significant currents induced in them, and these could act as transmission lines carrying the signal much longer distances, but this might be thought of as "cheating"!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger Lapthorn" <[email protected]>