LF: Re: 9kHz noise level

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 23:11:31 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Jim, LF,

yes I'm aware of the fact that the shielding from trees etc is more significant at lower frequency. Their ohmic conductance becomes a better shunt in comparison with decreasing capacitive admittance, somewhat similar to a C-R highpass equivalent circuit. There used to be two beautiful 15 m high fir trees in the vicinity of our house. At 137 kHz, I measured a ~ 15% increase in effective height when the trees were deeply frozen, but the effect on 9 kHz may have been more severe. A couple of years ago our neighbours had these trees chopped down, good for LF but otherwise sad.

In April 2003, I attempted to transmitt an 8.97 kHz carrier, radiating about 1 microwatt from my normal LF antenna (220 pF at ~ 9m eff. height). I drove around and stopped in different places, putting up a 6m fishing pole with a wire, connected to a resonant circuit and the laptop soundcard. Each time I took a short Spectrogram full-band screenshot, along with a narrowband capture from a special Argo version, patched for 22 kHz samplerate. An assembly of the screenshots is at  http://freenet-homepage.de/df6nm/8970_ALL.gif. Maximum detection range was 6 km, just marginally outside the reactive nearfield. No noiseblanking was attempted at the time.

If you look at the Spectrogram strips, you can see that the first (1.6 km) and third (6.0 km) images have a much lower absolute receive level. At first I thought something was wrong with the receive antenna, until I realized that this was purely due to these sites being in a forested area.

I have now rigged up SpecLab again for VLF reception. The Russian Alpha beacons seem to be usefiul calibration markers, the nearest one is currently about 20 dB SNR here in a 42 Hz FFT. Does anybody in the group have information about their EMRP, or has someone attempted to measure their fieldstrength in Europe?

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)