Re: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:21:09 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=MO7VnfHd6/2pVO91IetBRzVJXcEXmTwrAEku2sHpues=; b=DmEanumGBanggh5om8P83h2FO5WABArW3Nnp3e5KO6iwbdm59L44Ib76OSIoYeXv/3 TCWuOdhOuOIZQBBcIy4gvb46WUGjo1jMHSR2P/m0OO5ev7WyZXxO89Qadauv7qTqqWNa 12ES3RFvqu/PexVACRzulBro8QhVLT04kkHs8=
Sender: [email protected]
WSPR looks at the energy in 1.5Hz bins, or chunks, and effectively filters the signal to this bandwidth.   If the noise impulses ar eof significantly shorter duration, they will be smeared outas well as reduced i magnitude and probably end up appearing quite close to Gaussian.     Certainly, on 73kHz the impulsive Loran interference and natural spikes appeared completely Gaussian when filtered to the sub-Hz bandwidth we used there.

However, for 9kHz signalling, I think you would do a lot better by going for coherent signalling. The path should be very stable so you shoul dbe able to retian coherency for hours. Use GPS timing and at that frequency you can get an absolutely coherent local reference and timing, so try long duration PSK, with symbol timings based on ten second intervals, or minutes.