LF: Re: 9kHz noise level

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: 9kHz noise level
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:43:29 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear LF,

sometime back in 2000 I attempted to measure the daytime noise background at 9 kHz (see http://www.qru.de/vlf-theorie.html). I was using my regular LF antenna at my suburban QTH. The effective height is ~ 9 m, calibrated on LF by comparison to a small loop, and assuming that it would depend only little on frequency. Using good old Spectrogram with moderate averaging and placing the cursor between the visible impulsive spherics, I arrived at a background noise of about 5 dBuV/m referenced to 1 Hz (equivalent to 142 dB kTo).

This seems lower than most of the figures quoted recently, including Jim's measurement. There may have been some issues with my calibration, but I don't think my figure would have been off by tens of dBs. Anyway I will try to repeat the measurement this weekend. Part of the discrepancy could be that published figures inevitably include the energy of the distict spherics, which may well contribute the dominant part of the average noise power. Empiricaly I found that some noise limiting or blanking was essential to maximize SNR for narrow bandwidth reception.

Based on this figure for noise, a first calculation for Stefan's 100 m kite antenna predicted a reception range well over 200 km,. using QRSS-30 at 21 mHz! So the dreamers may be in for a nice sunday surprise...

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:50 PM

Dear LF Group,

As a quick experiment to estimate noise level at 9kHz, I coupled a sig gen
into my broadband RX loop antenna using a "current transformer in reverse"
arrangement to induce a known EMF into the loop. I used Spectrum Lab to
monitor the RX output, set up for QRSS3 reception (0.46Hz noise bandwidth).
I reduced the signal level to give what I imagine would be an "M" copy
trace, and from the induced EMF and loop area worked out the equivalent
field strength - this was 35uV/m. It is a bit difficult to say what the SNR
is, due to the constantly varying impulsive noise, but 6dB is probably not a
million miles from the mark, which would imply a noise field strength about
25uV/m per sqrtHz. I don't know if the noise level on VLF this evening is
particularly high or low. The Alpha beacons are clearly audible here.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU