Re: LF: 500 kHz WSPR de VE1JF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 kHz WSPR de VE1JF
From: Warren Ziegler <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:26:44 -0500
Cc: [email protected]
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=wBDjgCIyBjq97nFLDicpH5PRKW1vKezDafcXswY7/pk=; b=g2RCF+BYOzYHdsAnPWRSFa2nyskzlYymhH2xWRpMtLKv6zQi+aiELBN3uLYXzUAdn0 rUXMtCUqQWIlfFIl58s64k0pqqjmjj5ixJYVADzrrlVxFGjsXvuZPvvkSXJVnL4Rp2IN 5kDMYmIfTSKm/PbfxUMM5el/4Ms2ituFXT4LY=
Sender: [email protected]
Jim,

     Congrats on the Canadian 600 meter allocation!
       I would caution you against making the mistake that the ARRL
made here in the U.S. and that was asking for a 20W ERP limit  under
the erroneous assumption that they could fly under the radar by asking
for lower power.  In fact the FCC just as easily granted 200W ERP to
the WE2XGR stations and would have probably granted more power.
WSPR, WOLF, QRSS etc. are fantastic tools and are absolutely necessary
under very weak signal conditions but appeal to only a small subset of
the amateur community. With 200W ERP we can easily be heard at
transcontinental distances on cw and even ssb has crossed the ocean on
500kHz.  I worry that each new amateur band seems to get less and less
power, 250 Watts on 30 meters, 50 Watts on 60 meters - the logical
progression would be 20 Watts on 500 and 1 Watt on137kHz.
Eventually you will be able to transmit anywhere - with zero power!

73  Warren K2ORS