Re: LF: MOFMT ADSL noise

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: MOFMT ADSL noise
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:10:53 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:In-Reply-To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=BUW+wJHsZTqM+0CWbgj52dmkdw8dWrOlnJV9bwchkVtfpcKVlQob+6slYO59hFFuUMTTjvM4E+ukXOcg84eUMVQwvNbVHIWMStSvbRXbnNg7eIGWkoxN8Jqf2wieEyMXZUUDj7EAg/qsI8iBpswQigYDTw3fvp4ykMFNpRXM2XE= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]

Dear Pete, Paul-Henrik,

M0FMT wrote:
....> Well I can only conclude it is ADSL because it is just raising the noise floor it is very subtle not really identifiable like say TV LTB, it's a mush...>

I have problems with ADSL on 500kHz at my QTH - it sounds like "white noise" with no audible distinctive features I can detect. The noise can be about 10 - 20dB over the band noise here over a fairly wide bandwidth in the MF range. It does not seem to be a problem at 136k, perhaps because this is in the guard band between upstream and downstream ADSL signals. It is easy to tell if you are experiencing noise from your own ADSL connection - disconnect the incoming phone line (probably just unplugging the modem from the phone socket will be enough) and there will be a reduction in noise level. Unfortunately, there also seems to be a significant level of similar noise here from other sources, probably my neighbors' ADSL via the overhead phone lines.

I have had some success with a noise-cancelling arrangement here, where the ADSL noise is sampled using a current transformer made by passing the incoming phone line through a ferrite core, and summed with the signal from loop antennas via a variable phase-shifting and gain-adjusting network, which is adjusted for a null in the noise. Also, moving the loop around the QTH shows some positions are better than others. Actually, life is a bit more complicated at this particular QTH, since there also seems to be wide-band noise originating as very low-level sidebands from the local broadcast stations. This requires a second noise-cancelling network to null noise from that direction. Also, it was necessary to insert a relay in series with the loading coil to disconnect the TX antenna on receive, otherwise this coupled more noise into the receiving antennas. But when it is all adjusted properly, the overall noise level can be reduced in favourable directions by about 20dB, which is worth doing.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU