LF: ADSL noise Q for petefmt

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: ADSL noise Q for petefmt
From: Paul-Henrik <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 19:35:25 +0300
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Pete, LF

> Well I can only conclude it is ADSL because it is
> just raising the noise floor it is very subtle not really identifiable like
> say TV LTB, it's a mush. Frame ants help a bit but not as sensitive at the LW
> by a mile.

> 73 petefmt

I'm also plagued by a "not really identifiable" mush-like noisefloor. In my case
it is not affecting RX on 500kHz badly, at least I seem to hear you guys pretty
well and daytime the band sounds pretty fine. Here the problems start in the
high end of the MW BC band and extends up to about 2600kHz with a constant
level. Above 2600kHz it slowly drops off and at 3000kHz it is more or less
gone.

The noise has no real characteristic, it is like a constant 24/7/365 white noise
(S7 on IC-718 with inverted-L antenna) and I can not D/F it on any of my loops.

I have even disconnected all incoming mains and phone lines to the house just
above earth level and ran the radio from a battery but it is still there...

I have tried to nail this pest many times but always failed so far. A clue to
what kind of technology that could cause white noise in this spectrum would be
very helpful in the battle.

Thankful for any hints.

Then a word of warning as this may soon affect many of us:

On top of this the local electric company recently installed smart billing
meters in our area running LonTalk over 4800baud FSK PLC on 66.7kHz. The 2'nd
harmonic sidebands of this EU approved complete engineering failure piece of
crap technology are now wiping out 136kHz completely daytime... With nighttime
QRN it just about "blends in" when using a 250Hz CW filter. The signal is all
over in every cm of mains wiring indoors too. At least I know my enemy in this
case but being approved technology used for every household means there is very
little to do but live with it.

73

Paul-Henrik / OH1LSQ