RE: LF: MOFMT ADSL noise

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: MOFMT ADSL noise
From: Laurence BY3A-KL1X China <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 18:39:00 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
I had the same problem on 500 up in KL7 at home. I ended up moving the modem to the garage where the telephone line comes out of the ground and keeping the ADSL loaded wiring as short as possible -  then on the telephone side of the router  I connected up a pair of reasonable quality of seried ADSL filters outbound for normal telephone wiring in the house. From 20 over noise I cant "see it" now as the big antennae has been chocked off. I only use wireless around the property so it wasnt an issue.

Next job is to choke off the noise from the AC power line coming out of the ground - its awful.

relates to MTA Palmer Alaska solutions ADSL

Laurence KL 1 X

> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:10:53 +0100
> Subject: Re: LF: MOFMT ADSL noise
>
> Dear Pete, Paul-Henrik,
>
> M0FMT wrote:
> ....> Well I can only conclude it is ADSL because it is just raising the
> noise floor it is very subtle not really identifiable like say TV LTB, it's
> a mush...>
>
> I have problems with ADSL on 500kHz at my QTH - it sounds like "white noise"
> with no audible distinctive features I can detect. The noise can be about
> 10 - 20dB over the band noise here over a fairly wide bandwidth in the MF
> range. It does not seem to be a problem at 136k, perhaps because this is in
> the guard band between upstream and downstream ADSL signals. It is easy to
> tell if you are experiencing noise from your own ADSL connection -
> disconnect the incoming phone line (probably just unplugging the modem from
> the phone socket will be enough) and there will be a reduction in noise
> level. Unfortunately, there also seems to be a significant level of similar
> noise here from other sources, probably my neighbors' ADSL via the overhead
> phone lines.
>
> I have had some success with a noise-cancelling arrangement here, where the
> ADSL noise is sampled using a current transformer made by passing the
> incoming phone line through a ferrite core, and summed with the signal from
> loop antennas via a variable phase-shifting and gain-adjusting network,
> which is adjusted for a null in the noise. Also, moving the loop around the
> QTH shows some positions are better than others. Actually, life is a bit
> more complicated at this particular QTH, since there also seems to be
> wide-band noise originating as very low-level sidebands from the local
> broadcast stations. This requires a second noise-cancelling network to null
> noise from that direction. Also, it was necessary to insert a relay in
> series with the loading coil to disconnect the TX antenna on receive,
> otherwise this coupled more noise into the receiving antennas. But when it
> is all adjusted properly, the overall noise level can be reduced in
> favourable directions by about 20dB, which is worth doing.
>
> Cheers, Jim Moritz
> 73 de M0BMU

Hotmail: Trusted email with Microsoft’s powerful SPAM protection. Sign up now. =