LF: Re: Microwave oven transformers

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Microwave oven transformers
From: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:13:50 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Ken, LFers,

I've used four M.O.T.'s immersed in oil to achieve close to 9 KV to
power one of my Tesla coils.  I had to be sure that the phasing of
the windings was right so that they added up. Of course the two
on the ends where operating with their cores at 2 K.V., hence the
need for the oil bath.

In your case, connect the two cores together and possibly to earth,
and then measure the voltage between the two high voltage leads
to determine the correct phasing for the primaries.  Regarding the
magnetic shunts, they are easily removed with a drift punch and a
few gentle hammer taps.  DON'T DING THE WINDINGS!

Depending on your actual usage, the type of filter you use after the
rectifiers will help with the regulation. You can use a choke input
configuration as shown in any ARRL Handbook.  Good luck!

73, J.B., VE3EAR - VE3WZL
Solar and wind powered
Lowfer " EAR"  188.830
EN93dr