LF: Microwave oven transformers

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Microwave oven transformers
From: "Ken" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 20:21:56 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=lmPN3kllQE32oKSWe6IepVuXttLbEr4zJeEynAt1CsMF9NxxLW590Cdv6OHPIMiyP6flSl4n3OWbVv0FUIVcJl5dnju4wMJzybOhBzIOp37gxnPdiFb0rC4OVYeI4dxxPVGUM2PQgmzuuKo0ggeImyiblReA0e073dMtXLvkA4w= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hello everyone.
Does any one have experience in using microwave oven transformers in high voltage power units, I acquired two of these at the weekend. I was informed that as they stand the voltage regulation is poor, to improve this the 'Core Shunts' should be removed, (these are laminations between the two stacks), removal of these 'shunts' also has the effect of considerably increasing the magnetisation current. The solution to this seems to be to use two transformers, connecting the both primaries and secondary's in series to restore the 2KV output voltage.

Any comments on this most welcome

Note for Mal, this is serious stuff not for appliance operators.

Regards
Ken Wright

73 de M0KHW