Re: LF: 500KHz QSB

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500KHz QSB
From: "Mark" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:08:02 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Gents
If the signals that are fading at different frequencies are from the same source, then you can determine the difference in path length from the null spacing. (assuming you can see signals over a wide enough bandwidth from the same source  to see 2 nulls at the same time .. I have observed this on DRM OFDM signals on 7MHz, they are about 10KHz wide
From null to null in the frequency domain implies that for one frequency the path length difference between 2 paths is n lambda + 1/2 lambda, for the next frequency the path length difference must be n+1 lambda + 1/2 lambda (If we assume only 2 discrete signal paths, and that one path length is fixed.. groundwave and that the second path is the same physical length at both frequencies) then we can see that difference in path length will be equal to the wavelength of the difference frequency. This principal is often used in commutating line channel combiners at UHF
for a single carrier, it is possible to assess the rate of change in the difference of the path length. this will give a measure of ionospheric movement.
if the nulls dip every 1 minute, then at 500KHz the difference in path length is changing by 1 wavelength per minute, ie 600m / minute  or  10m/s
Working out exactly what is happening to make the path lengths change, or proving where the reflecting layer is  and how it is moving takes  more observations and a bit more work :<)

Over the years I have been capturing meteor reflections that have Doppler shift. max Doppler occurs when the meteor enters vertically perpendicular to the path. From the Doppler you can measure the 'relative speed' of the incoming rock, and its (or at least its trails' ) deceleration.. fascinating stuff,  they don't half move fast!

Mark GM4ISM