RE: LF: Re: 3C85/90 Toroids <more>

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Re: 3C85/90 Toroids <more>
From: "Dave G3WCB" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 19:28:16 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:Importance:In-Reply-To; b=x/Bpt3/eQWviMC9YBSb0KIEnBGx/JB8EMD+aVQGWsDZQg+Y/e2HwbziRznIFCU0XKJGmVylgLVdtPbQPbJlEGfYpQGPkYX2c2ts6CUzX2sYK7ZmoY5inXzo5Y2P8Pmzyau8GG2cvwKMTdqK3AGnQNGAViAyATuxBvATJ5sj5s50= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Paul-Henrik, LF,

You are correct. 3C85 is a ferrite, and has been widely used in transformer
cores at LF, as reported by G0MRF and others. I have no experience of the
material personally, as I have never been able to find any, and have been
forced to use other "street" ferrite from PC PSUs, ferrite EMC sleeves or
"slugs", etc. Two 40mm long 25mm dia ferrite sleeves taped together in
"binocular" style work fine at 400W on 137 kHz

>From this I conclude that the core material for transformers isn't too
important, providing it isn't too lossy, and can provide a reasonable
inductance (turns per mH).

I have never tried T200-2 as a core transformer material. I suspect that it
would not be too lossy, but because the permeability is much lower than
ferrite, you would have to put a lot of turns on the core to get a suitably
high inductance.

T130-2 and T200-2 powder iron cores do indeed make good inductors for the
low-pass filters. None of the "street ferrite" I tried worked, and in most
cases got fiercely hot. Air-cored inductors work well, but need to be wound
with quite thick wire to keep the copper lossed low. In my 400W LF TX, I got
more output with the T200-2 inductors than the air-cored conductors because
I could reduce the length of wire needed for the inductors, and reduce
losses due to resistance of the wire.

I've never tried T200-3 or any other mix.

73, Dave G3WCB IO91RM