Re: LF: Re: Smaller DC feeding choke in class E amplifier

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Smaller DC feeding choke in class E amplifier
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 17:09:34 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=zuhP2NrjIMI9QLgQttYcM/EcgAhQ8WNMNzsBHkgZorkDSCgqXtriibCd3h862MMDwd3nhme1Rg6htctkEENXxmERLdNfgF73sCxn6bZWgDLHuwaukOi24fRq/23oat2FYQ/6Rm99oAyKUTkG7Oo6Xob56GfNNV1rOM8PeVHa56I= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Graham I think it is a misunderstanding to think that the power supply
must supply peaks of current. This is what the choke avoids, there will be
some ripple on the supply but it should be quite minor (I must put a current
probe on mine,  sometime). The current flowing from the psu when the
"switch"  is on, does not stop flowing when it goes "off", the current is
diverted into the shunt capacitor. This is why the most important
calculation in the design is the power required which determines the size
needed for this cap. So the current drain on the psu should be reasonably
constant. As Mal says you dont need a stabilised supply for this type of
operation (or a class C stage), just a "stiff" one capable of supplying the
current without distress.

Alan