Re: LF: Re: Visual Aurora and good condx... my take on it.

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Visual Aurora and good condx... my take on it.
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:02:59 -0000
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=1oZ2pliC5dAwHFMP+1llALTyZ+aHXVkZd+HkWh+X1gymNp77xdClbdZfiKA8UwlU1tnOjNdETSPFnjRsS79Df3ikMpCAuWGtdmRpwjpJWWvAkkgj0MkgR7ubefW0A6U5p2JM9w9JlCGK5yrgSdXY9EoyJpPaox4YOiHQygyPD0c= ;
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dave, yes indeed.

There are two main sources of geomagnetic storm "stimulation". The first is
the well known Coronal Mass Ejections (CMEs) that emanate from the area of
sun-spots and are usually associated with flares,but can be ejected by some
non-flare proceses as well. These are common at the Solar max when the
Sun-spot count is, of course, high. The type of shock we experienced the
other day which caused the aurora and and has been happening at irregular
intervals throughout these quiet years is known as a "coronal hole event"
this is a "tear" in the solar atmosphere which results in the spin off of
coronal material (Hydrogen ions and electrons), much the same as the
background "solar wind" The presence of a coronal hole is like somone in the
garden with a hose being called from the house and swinging round drenching
everyone as the spray sweeps round. The speed of the cooronal hole flow is 2
or three times the speed of the normal solar wind so it causes a magnetic
shock to the geomagnetic field. Some of the plasma, mainly Hydrogen ions and
electrons are able to enter the earths field at the poles, spiralling down
the lines of force to create the magical auroral "curtains" described by
John.

All is not over however as the rest of the "spray" sweeps by and some is
sucked into the magnetic "tail" of the Earth's field a bit like when you
drive a hatchback with the tail-gate slightly open and the exhaust fumes
enter the car. These ions and electrons are drawn back into the Equatorial
Ring Current in the Van Allen Belt and form a reservoir of "hot" electrons
which are bled into the ionosphere at the sunrise edge where the earth's
field is distorted by the pressure of the solar wind. These diffuse down
into the D-layer are "hot" and long lived, and give the excess night-time
attenuation experienced at LF after a "magnetic storm". This even persists
for days after the Kp index has returned to normal low or quiet levels.
After severe storms the ring current can be so highly populated that LF
signals can often be depressed for 3 or 4 weeks. This generally only happens
around the Solar max. and after Kp=9 events.

Phew.....well you DID ask Dave !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK