Re: LF: 500 - beacons

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 - beacons
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 21:00:14 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btopenworld.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Received:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MIMEOLE; b=msl7P3EvDyhXYjPj7cjoY22rn6j1XXHjVVTDUuuffToJ1TMJThYpyFi4e6PAneMZfEg3co54HzGJhUMJkLl9293jXASn/lDVwUgJaFsTfhykTvXmxZzqYHk20GZf9Oo2xvHxQVW48SQMbfdUhfIwfxPLwENGXdE8dPMB52j5V44= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Roelof, LF Group,

Thanks for sending the link - someone has been busy!

I did some Navtex monitoring myself a while back - I used some decoder
software called SeaTTY which logs all the messages, so you don't have to
watch the screen all night. During winter nights, it was fairly common to
see signals from quite distant stations - eastern USA and Canada, the middle
east, places like Astrakhan and Archangel to the east, so it shows
propagation does exist. The difficulty with using Navtex as a propagation
indicator is that the time slots are each used by a number of stations, so
more local signals are likely to block out the DX ones. You need a bit  of
luck, such as the DX Navtex broadcasting a long series of messages while the
local Navtex only transmits a short series, in order to copy the DX signal.
So there are other factors as well as propagation that determine if a
particular Navtex signal can be received. I guess the same applies to some
extent to NDBs, but it looks like there is a good selection in an eastern
direction that could be quite interesting.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU