Re: LF: 500 - beacons

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 500 - beacons
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:31:23 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
On 5 Jul 2007 at 4:03, [email protected] wrote:

> Is there a list of frequencies to avoid? Or if you are using a crystal
>  perhaps you could just drop me a line and I'll avoid that spot
> frequency.  I'll  be mainly putting this on overnight and not in  peak
> daytime hours.

I would suggest it is best to put the 'beacons', especially QRSS
ones, close the top or bottom band edges allowing a margin for the
transmit bandwidth  - especially since those using QRSS have rather
better frequency calibration than those relying on netting audible
tones. Much as is done on 136. That will leave the rest of the band
available for QSOs. Remember also that on normal speed CW you do need
to be a bit away from the band edge to allow for the non zero
bandwidth of your signal - and I would suggest that Finbar has been
dangerously close to 501.00 in recent days.

Remember also if you are using QRSS you must send your callsign at
FREQUENT intervals at normal speed. I constantly get people telling
me they are hearing people 'tuning up' for hours on end. Remember,
your QRSS may be down in the noise in distant places, over most of
the UK it is 599...

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com