Re: LF: 500 RTTY first 2 way

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: 500 RTTY first 2 way
From: "Gary - G4WGT" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:50:16 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Brian, LF,

Thanks for your mail Brian.

I have previously received Graham's several transmissions using PSK but as that required a linear Tx I was unable to reply, Graham pointed out to me that the RTTY program MMTTY featured a setting for FSK output via the COM port which would anable me to drive my DDS VFO using the CW offset as I do for DFCW & the G0MRF class D Tx.

I looked at the possiblity & found that I only required to modify my QRSS/DFCW interface by switching the FSK drive from DTR to TxD so I fitted a switch to allow both modes when required. That worked fine but I had to be able to Tx & Rx narrow shift. The prog MMTTY allowed me to Tx down to whatever shift I set in the DDS VFO offset so I tried the preset 23 Hz shift but found I could not Rx very narrow shifts with MMTTY. I downloaded MixW218 & that produced 100% copy down to 30 Hz shift so I set that as my standard, Tx with MMTTY & Rx with MixW218 but it was hard work swapping programs for Tx/Rx.

Graham used MMTTY prog at 25 Hz shift frequency 503.6 KHz using a audio feed (AFSK) to the MA1723 exciter (I think that is RACAL) followed by a linear amp. I think that if Graham could bring his shift up to 30 Hz I may get a more solid copy.

The MixW218 will not do the COM FSK drive like the MMTTY so I must try to use MMTTY for both Rx & Tx if I can get the profile right or maybe go for a linear Tx design.

I hope that helps.

73

Gary - G4WGT - IO83qp

----- Original Message ----- From: "brian hodgson" <[email protected]>