LF: Re: Passive high-pass filter circuits?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Passive high-pass filter circuits?
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 01:01:33 +0100
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=btinternet.com; h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Message-ID:From:To:References:Subject:Date:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE; b=S2W+QnAAgpGfPwCnbcafYBbsB2GYDFb1FnNNptYhIhlq0/Xh9y0D/vQ63K8OqpIMK1cH8IDTQe1iDT7F1AeR8kxTX6ho/+h7x9Ubek4sjh7ylDY1U9+M4+52lDJD7Fcijck/SwVDzlQgaGv/z+C7m7RDdLHWCjzAh0rgTcYC7Bw= ;
Domainkey-status: bad (test mode)
Domainkey-status: good (testing)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi JB your spec might give filter designers the shivers !! There are a
couple of other parameters that would help, though they might seem
unimportant. How fast do you want it to roll-off below 1kHz ...like how far
down should 500Hz be. As a rough guide I think you get 6db/octave per pole
on a simple filter and this determines how many sections you need to meet
your requirement. Also if it is designed at 600 ohms it may have strange
"wind-it-youself" inductor and capacitor values. It is often easier to
design for a given inductor and match it at input and output with capacitor
taps or transformers( there are now several experts squirming I am sure )
You also, in theory, need to quote the acceptable ripple allowed in the pass
band, this is also tied in with the ultimate attenuation in the stop-band.
You have to play the percentages.

I am lazy and do it by cut and try on a network analysis program, sometimes
getting the values from the disc with Wes Haywards book "Intro to RF
Design". That way I get useable filters out of standard Toko coils and a
little paralleling of the caps. Well I call it the "amateur approach" !!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK