Re: LF: TIP: modifiying X-tals

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: TIP: modifiying X-tals
From: "Federico Olaizola" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:39:01 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
I work the FT-243 Xtals and similars with ammonical bifluoride acid (FH-FNH4), much less aggressive that the fluorhydric acid (FH)

I utilize two disolutions marked as 5khz/10_min and 1,5khz/30_min. This is a reference, therefore each Xtal takes the velocity that desires him.

At each one, must do attack velocity test.  When you approach the frequency desired, the bath should be of more short term and whit  measurement.
To bathe the Xtal, I utilize pincers of revealed photographics, wing that have carried out channels filed near the tip for take the Xtal so that the flat faces remain free for the attack of the acid.

My record of variation of a Xtal of 8 mhz is 403 khz  obtaineds in 10 days of baths.
                             8.377  to  8.780,8  =>  137,200

If we have passed ourselves in frequency, at Xtal "injured", applies him itsel, "mercury-chrome" whit a human air.  ( Edding pen?)

If the bath, as been long-term, is possible that the Xtal to stop oscilating.   In this case, to smooth the surface, I utilize abrasive paste of "corindon-corundum". Also is worth te dentifrice-paste.  As base of support, I utilize a piece of flat glass.

The flask of the disolutions should be of special plastic for chemitry. The fluorhydric acids (also the bifluoride),  they attack the glass.

A 20% of my Xtals they have died in the operation, well because in the in the maneuvers of dismantling-assemblyng, they have broken itself or because to stop oscillating and there is not form to resurrect them.

Each time that there is a session of bath, one must wash the Xtal with soap and running water and to dry it with absorbent paper.

A lot of attention, therefore we are working with higly corrosive material.

Federico   EA2HB