Re: LF: TIP: modifiying X-tals

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: TIP: modifiying X-tals
From: "Hugh_m0wye" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:10:55 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi All,
I have successfully used this method to retune 27MHz radio control crystals to produce a couple of channel frequencies around 433.500 MHz (when multiplied by 16).
I used a pencil rubbed gently on the surface of the crystal.

The crystal cans were of the "solder seal" type and all you had to do was heat the case of the crystal with the tip of a soldering iron, and the lid would come off. Unfortunately modern crystal cases are welded, and I have not been able to get in without destrying the crystal element. (Anyone know any tricks here ?)

I found it quite educational, because it make you realise that a crystal frequency is determined by a mechanical resonance. Adding mass to the surface lowers the resonance.
Nice to see it happen before your eyes.

73
Hugh M0WYE