LF: RE: Re: Antenna Tuning

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: Re: Antenna Tuning
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:58:44 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Dear JA, LF group,

The basic idea of connecting the variometer coils in parallel seems to be
sound, but I made an error in the calculation. More careful calculation
shows that, for the parallel connection:

L = (L1L2 - M^2)/(L1+L2-2M),

Where L1, L2 are the inductances of the two coils individually and M is the
mutual inductance between them. In this case, L1 = 3.38mH, L2 = 1.33mH, M is
between -0.95mH and +0.95mH, making the adjustment range for JA's variometer
with the coils in parallel 0.54mH - 1.28mH, which is still OK. Calculating
inductances of coils is often not very precise, so it would certainly be a
good idea to check the inductance as Peter describes, to make sure you are
in the right range.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU