LF: Re: Antenna Tuning

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: Antenna Tuning
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 14:49:12 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Hi, I am not sure that that is the cause. If it were, you should be able to
see signals on the scope match when you are not transmitting. Local RF can
severely corrupt the operation of wideband detectors in antenna bridges. But
this is mainly because a good bridge will have in excess of 70dB nulls which
brings the null down to the level of the received signal, and the null is
"flattened out" and indistinct. When using bridges on LF it is necessary to
have a tuned detector such as a receiver or use a high enough drive level to
overcome the received voltage.

You are not "nulling" on the scopematch and if you had serious harmonic
effects they would be plainly clear as a distorted trace on the scope. My
suggestion is that you are amiss somewhere with your appreciation of the
parameters for the tuning of your antenna and are in fact trying to resonate
it at a harmonic frequency. Be very careful with short lengths of coax in
the feed, If not correctly terminated (ie in "off-tune" conditions)  these
can resonate with link coils....invariably if Murphy is around at a
harmonic. If you do use coax relpace it temporarily by a wire and see if the
situation changes.....you may be surprised.

I suggest a old-fashioned absorption wave meter to cover 136 and its
harmonics could be useful here. Its why we all had to have one in the
"old-days". You may find that when you think you are tuned you have more
harmonic output that the required freeqency so the antenna is acting as a
"selector"

I think you need to check for this effect first.

 I dont believe that a local signal except a very strong one would affect a
passive SWR indicator. It may lead to starnge readings on something like an
MFJ or Autek antenna analyser as these are effectively bridges with very
high sensitivity.

Another reason I dont think the scopematch is affected is that the main
proposer (though there were many involved in the idea) is Jim M0BMU. Jim
lives "just over the fence"  from the Brookmans Park BBC transmission site.
So he has several MF half kilowatt BC transmitters a matter of yards
away.....he reports getting "several volts" of it on his Marconi !! But they
dont affect his tuning.

Remind me of the parameters of your antenna and loading coil, and lets throw
some figures around again.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK