LF: Wishing LORAN away?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Wishing LORAN away?
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:27:50 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Stewart and Peter, LF Group,

in view of LORAN-C as a complementary backup to satellite based navigation, I do not think that European interest will die away completely with the advent of Galileo, which would have the same potential failure modes as GPS (such as susceptibility to low power jamming). For timing applications, narrowband LF systems suffer from variable skywave components, which limit carrier-frequency measurements to about 1e-8 at night across a couple of 100 kms. These can be suppressed to a large extent by sampling the phase early in a Loran pulse, improving precision by at least one order of magnitude.

Personally, I found in LORAN a fascinating means of monitoring global LF propagation, with the ability to resolve multiple skywave propagation modes in time domain, analyse their phase evolution, or see solar disturbances (and perhaps even strong gamma ray bursters) in real time. For example, a recent ten-day observation of 58 Loran stations is on http://people.freenet.de/df6nm/LoranView/LoranView_Mar2006.htm .

So I would not really wish for LORAN to disappear altogether, but rather try to work towards convincing the operators that it's out-of-band emissions definitely have to be cleaned up. Technically, a transmitter filter with a passband from 90-110 kHz should be quite feasible, and finally result in an enhanced Loran system which could be called compatible to other LF users like us.

73 and kind regards

Markus, DF6NM