LF: Re: Active_antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Active_antennas
From: "Roelof Bakker" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 17:42:42 +0100
Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 16:44:19 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Walter, Tracey, Alan,

It happens to be that I own a battery powered SPM-3 and I have often used a (mini) whip without any connection to ground. As a whip is a monopole some counterpoise is necessary. I gathered that this happened by capacitive coupling between the case of the SPM-3 and earth (the real thing). As the (mini) whips capacitance is small, the value of the capacitor to earth need not be very large.

This was confirmed when I lifted the SPM-3 from the plastic garden table and put it on the ground: the signal level increased. If I remember correct it was in the order of 1 dB or so.

Regarding Tracey's suggestion, when the weather is a bit more like it, I will hoist the contraption up a fiberglass pole. The only problem is that the capacitance of the SPM-3 to ground will be substantial larger than from the (mini) whip.

Best regards,

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt