LF: RE: TA 26 JAN 06 XKO

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE: TA 26 JAN 06 XKO
From: "Gary - G4WGT" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:05:18 -0000
Delivery-date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:06:13 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roelof,

You wrote :-

Looking at my overnight SpecLab captures, there appeared to be a substantial
difference in background noise. It was much stronger from 02:00 - 05:00 and
from 06:00 - 06:30 UTC. Have other listeners observed this also?

Roelof Bakker, pa0rdt

****************************

I also get this effect & when I contacted Wolf about it this is the advice
he offered, not a cure but possibly an improvement in reducing the effect by
changing the following settings/values.

On the top menu bar click

"View/Windows" then "Spectrum Lab components" & you will get a block
diagram, look for box with ? in it on a connection between L4 & L5 (next to
a green triangle), click this box & point at "Automatic Gain Control" at the
bottom of the list, choosing/setting different values may help the
situation.

Wolf said this is not a visual gain control like those in Argo & Spectran so
may only have a minimal effect, tried it & believe it did help. The problem
with visual AGC is that it not only reduces the level of visual noise on the
display it also reduces the displayed signal.

Regards,

Gary - G4WGT - IO83qp

Web : http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wgtaylor