RE: LF: ferrite rods

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: ferrite rods
From: "james moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:07:00 -0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:11:30 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Dear Peter, LF Group,

Whatever type of antenna you go for, I strongly suggest you try a lash-up
first, before expending a lot of time and trouble on the final proper
version, routing cables etc. Any loop or ferrite rod ant is sensitive to
local magnetic fields produced by noise currents flowing in (usually mains-)
cables. So you are quite likely to find you have made a cable detector
instead of a better antenna! I suggest you lash up an antenna and try it in
different locations until you find an electrically quiet spot. In my case, I
have to position my loop antennas at the bottom of the garden in order to
avoid picking up mains-borne QRM. Moving the antennas around by only a few
metres often makes a big difference to the QRM level.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU