LF: Bryan's Ratio was - Current "lost" in loading coil

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Bryan's Ratio was - Current "lost" in loading coil
From: "captbrian" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:39:59 -0000
Cc: "W.F. Oorschot" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
I do agree.  I did originally say  "by how much is another matter " , because I do not suggest for a moment that the current proportions are the same when coiled up as when stretched out . The bottom turn radiates energy so the current entering the second turn is a little less than that entering the bottom one and so on all the way up. At the same time the bottom turn is inducing an extra current in the second one to counteract the effect !!  It seems clear that if two coils of equal inductance were tried then the  current reduction would be less with a close wound coil than with a double-spaced one.  We should not be calling this "Lost current" ;; we havn't lost it, we have radiated it !.

BTW  I think i(out) over i(in) could be called  "Bryan's   Ratio"

G3GVB  ( Bryan near Brighton )  ;-)

Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:41 AM
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Current "lost" in loading coil

To All from PA0SE

I do like G3GVB's kind of reasoning. But I think the situation is simplified a bit too much.  Assume as an example that the coil is wound on a toroid of high permeability material  (e.g. for use with a QRP transmitter....).
The magnetic flux in the core is proportional to the current in the winding.  When the current increases from one end of the winding to the other end this would mean thatt he flux in the core would rise as well  along the core. But this is impossible. The flux must be uniform.  So current in must be equql to current out.

Now real loading coils are wound on a tubular former without a core. The coupling  between the turns will not be 100 % as in the toroid case.
The coupling  depends on several factors like the length/diameter ratio.  But some of the current equalising effect due to the flux as in  the toroid must be present.

So I think that the current in the coil indeed rises from the top to the bottom but not at such a steep rate  as when the winding was removed and stretched into a straight wire.

Hw?

73, Dick, PA0SE