LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current "lost" in loading coil

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Re: Re: Re: Current "lost" in loading coil
From: "Vernall" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:43:48 +1300
Sender: [email protected]
Bryan,

Having a tapped coil is one way to feeding/matching to 50 ohms, and my
experience (for 181 kHz) is that around 2 or 3 turns is about right.  I now
prefer feeding the coax inner to the cold end of the coil and earthing the
braid to the "earth mat".  When tuned the resistance presented varies with
ground loss, but can be matched down or up with either an autotransformer or
L match.

My input about "Q times" is based on the feeder connected to the cold end,
and no tapping.  However, a tapped coil is only a variation for feeding
power to it, and the discussion about current "going sideways" via stray
capacitance is still a fact of life.

If you do measurements, use very low power, otherwise you will fry the
probe.

73, Bob