LF: Thank you de VY1JA

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Thank you de VY1JA
From: "J. Allen" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:16:17 +0000
Sender: [email protected]
Alex, and LF,

I posted a message to LF when I had "First Fire" a couple of days ago. Even though no one copied, it felt good to have the system finally able to transmit.

Your help with the antenna calculations was very valuable to me. I wound the coil as indicated and it was only necessary to tap a few turns in from the end of the coil, as the inductance was a little more than needed. The system matched your calculations very well!

Tapping the coil worked perfectly, because the part of the coil that was not needed for baseloading the vertical became the matching transformer winding. I now feed the bottom of the coil with my transmitter coax, the coil tap is grounded and the upper coil winding feeds the vertical. The SWR is 1:1, and I find that the antenna is very high Q. I no longer receive the NDB interference from "JB" which is about 1 km from my station. It is such a pleasure to receive 137 kHz. signals clearly.

In a few days I will be sending a thank you note to Steve, Scott and others. I should then have the transmitter working which is borrowed from Scot, and I hope it will make my signal visible. My initial tests which were only at 26 Watts were invisible to anyone watching.

Alex, when I get that transmitter going, (hopefully for this weekend) I would like to specifically see if you can copy me as we are both in the north. Please advise me of the best time of the day for your possible copy of VY1JA from CP20kw at 200Watts. Also, I am thinking of setting my beacon work initially near 137777, or 137779, Please advise me on the best frequency to start working with. With only 200 Watts, I am planning to use QRSS60.

73

J.
VY1JA