Re: LF: Re: Thank you de VY1JA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Thank you de VY1JA
From: "Scott Tilley, VE7TIL" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:30:09 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
J.

John makes very good point. The watering hole is filling fast and the old thinking regarding the EU/NA path is starting to stretch further west. So alittle rethinking is required to make everyone happy... I'd suggest staying on the low end of the watering hole perhaps around 137776.5ish. I'll check my watering hole loran line table or you could coonsult John's on the LWCA website. My reasoning is this. If the eastern NA stations stayed clustered together and the western stations do the same with a logical spacing for local viewing QRM would be reduced locally and at DX distances on grabbers like KI0LE and W3EEE. Local 'wideband' experiments should be conducted outside the watering hole if possible and if they must occur within it a reasonable notice should be provided. I would also suggest restricting your modes to ones that produce the least amount of 'switching transients' as that will also reduce local QRM as ARGO creates a smear (dogbones) during these transientions (certainly avoid CW unless you let us all know.) This has worked well for Steve and I as he can still clearly see the XGJ, XES, XDW, XFX slots with me blazing away at 778 in my sinewave mode. If I am causing you QRM during one of your experiments please advise as I will be pleased to QRT or QSY accordingly.

Presently this is my understanding of watering hole usage:

XFX - 780.7/.17, normally DFCW, w/ periodic HELL BW ~0.5Hz max.
XGJ - 799.5, QRSS w/ CW id
XES - 779/.2 DFCW with periodic HELL and narrow JASON to a BW of 1HZ or more at times. John QSYs alot so this slot may seem free for days on end. TIL - 778ish sinewave normally, with periodic QRSS and QRSSine sometimes centers on the SE US loran line at 778.356 BW ~0.5Hz
SL - 777.5 QRSS
NA - 777.0 QRSS
XDW - 775.2/.4 DFCW, rarely QRSS and other strange manifestations w/ CW id BW ~0.5Hz

Known NA Grabbers:

W3EEE - FN10sg - psychedelic! 365 with DCF-39 plots and others...
KI0LE - EN36us - wide view with lots of spectrum outside normal watering hole window... Seems to be seasonally operated... VE7TIL - CN89lg - only on during experiments and at request. Not very sensitive and plagued by city noise...

I hope this info helps.
73 Scott

Quoting John Andrews <[email protected]>:

J-

> Also, I am thinking of setting my beacon
> work initially near 137777, or 137779,   Please advise me on the best
> frequency to start working with.  With only 200 Watts, I am planning to
use
> QRSS60.

VO1NA is on 137.777, and I have been using 137.779. It doesn't make much
sense to exactly duplicate those frequencies, as it will discourage many
listeners from trying to copy you. Perhaps one of the western U.S. or
Canadian guys could give some advice as to a good frequency.

John Andrews, WD2XES