LF: SOFT START

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: SOFT START
From: "hamilton mal" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 14:53:17 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All
Surprisingly, most high power amps do not have a SOFT START, and judging by the thump at times on switch on, it is even more surprising that the power supply does not explode. In recent times I use a variac and gradually adjust it to full voltages.
This is overkill and a more simple cct would suffice. I lost  one mains transformer a few years ago and the replacement cost more than the amp was worth. Some of the PSU'S for low voltage high current  FET AMPS used in LF applications are even more vunerable ie 12 - 24 V at 20 - 100 A. Most Amateurs that I have spoken to do not realize the danger involved. One of the bean can size electrolytics 200 mfd capacity exploding would be like firing a mortar, probably demolish the house in some cases. The stone built country house would probably survive.If you are dabbling with QRP there is no need to worry.

73 de Mal/G3KEV