LF: 136kHz project cancelled

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 136kHz project cancelled
From: "Dick" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:44:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello all,

Sorry to say but for the moment I decided to stop my building
activeties for the 136kHz transmitter.
Right from the start I faced only problems in getting things
working, and I just do not have the time to spend days on
testing, trying doing things over and over and in another way etc.

To give you some examples from problems I ran into:

No suitable X-tals to build VXO 's or something with an divider, so I decided
to build an VFO on 1.37MHz followed by an 4017 to divide by 10.
VFO worked perfect but the 10-diveder just wouldn't work!!!!
I spend hours and hours to get it running, tried several different IC's
(I expected speed problems etc) all with no result.........
1.37MHz in ......NOTHING out................
It was a sinple circuit : pin 8,13,15 to ground, VCC on 16, 1.37MHz on pin 14,
and output at pin 12...... so stupid simple, that it really is amazing that things are
not working.

Well, I decided to try my luck with an 4060 IC..........modified the VFO, now around 2192kHz,
divided by 16 to get 137kHz.
Well, that does work ,so, so......and with a large amount of harmonics....2,3,4,5, etc times 137kHz
and all very strong well into the 5MHz range..........
I think I need a lot of filtering to get rid of this.................

So, with things already in this stadium getting so unfortunate, I think it's better to stop
before I start loosing components like FET's or what ever, because I can't imagine that
that will work without problems either..........

Once again, sorry to say, but can't efford myself to continue this way.
I do know that this is the real experimental stuff, and I have done a lot in the past,
but for now not so enthiousiastic about this project anymore.

Maybe later I'll pick things up again.
Meanwhile I will try to keep informed about the 136kHz scene here in the list; maybe doing some
listening...........

73 for now!

Dick (an unfortunate 136-TX builder..........)