Re: LF: Spam, viruses, etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spam, viruses, etc
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:58:42 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 12/3/03 6:27:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

Thanks to blacksheep using SpamAssasin I guess it does reduce the spam on this list enormously from what it could be, and in fact it is a very small percentage of the spam received here. However it is worth saying that of the various email reflectors I subscribe to without exception they either operate a 'members only may post' policy or one of moderating members on their first posting. Everybody accepts this policy without complaints. This list seems to be the only one which is totally open.

This is the essence of the matter. Between the existing Spam Assassin filter and a members-only posting policy--an utterly SIMPLE matter to implement in most cases, even simpler than setting up a spam filter--we wouldn't be having these discussions about spam at all!

Those of us complaining about spam *do* know about the various filters out there, and most of us use them on e-mail accounts where we can do. But please bear in mind two points: there are NONE which are 100% effective, and some of us have to keep various e-mail accounts sufficiently open that we don't risk losing legitimate mail which may have a few spam-like traits. The "final filter" is always the eye-brain-hand system, and it can become error prone after dealing with one or two hundred junk mails a day.

When you're in that boat, believe me, any reduction in spam would be welcome, especially when it is SO EASY to do.

Is there anyone on the list for whom it would be a serious inconvenience to have a little less spam to intercept????

John