Re: LF: Spam, viruses, etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spam, viruses, etc
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 11:28:54 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
I appreciate the comments on this subject. I myself use Mailwasher (and if I trusted it the BT spam filter) so it is not really a problem - all the spam is easily deleted before downloading. What has changed since 2002 is that the amount of spam on the internet has enormously increased - as also the number of people with always on connection who can spread it unawares. Thanks to blacksheep using SpamAssasin I guess it does reduce the spam on this list enormously from what it could be, and in fact it is a very small percentage of the spam received here.

However it is worth saying that of the various email reflectors I subscribe to without exception they either operate a 'members only may post' policy or one of moderating members on their first posting. Everybody accepts this policy without complaints. This list seems to be the only one which is totally open.

In the case of Yahoogroups lists, they also allow you can define up to three alternative email addresses to post with, getting round the problem of those wanting to post from their work's email but not wanting the received mails to go there. Not sure if that feature is available with blacksheep.

The danger is not those of us who are computer literate (probably most on here) but those who are not, who will get themselves infected then spread the rubbish to everybody else. It is for these we must take the sensible approach and stop spammers posting.

I may however be soon taking down my 136 loop for the time being so could well be unsubscribing for a different reason!

73 Dave G3YMC

[email protected]
http://www.btinternet.com/~dsergeant