Re: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Related Technical Query - Soundcard calibrator
From: "Stewart Nelson" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:21:34 -0800
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Andy,

IMO, you are being too much of a perfectionist to worry about
sin(x)/x.  I believe that x must be pi * fsig / fsample,
because the spectrum goes to zero at multiples of fsample.
So at 20 kHz the spectral density is 20*log(sin(pi*20/5000)/(pi*20/5000)).
This is about 0.00023 dB down from the level near DC.

The remaining question is what's the scale factor.
I believe that you can ignore the high frequency behavior,
and pretend that the power is spread over half the sample
frequency.  If your shift register puts out +/- 1V square
wave into 1 ohm (total RMS is one watt), then the low
frequency power density is 10*log(1/2.5E6) = -64 dBW/Hz.

My math is really weak, so I verified this by simulating a
random square wave, and looking at the spectrum with Cool Edit.

73,

Stewart KK7KA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy talbot" <[email protected]>